Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cheap Eats

This item has been on my to-post list for a while, so it's time to post it.
Every now and then we have a really on-the-cheap meal. For us, it's scrambled eggs with a little Spam and cheese mixed in, and hashbrowns. All the ingredients are really cheap, especially if I cube up some leftover baked potatoes to make the hashbrowns. Better still, it is as quick to make as it is inexpensive.

Fried rice is another good, inexpensive option. I always have some leftover peas or peas and carrots in the fridge. Scramble in a couple of eggs, toss in a handful of cubed ham (or Spam, like we do) or other leftover meat, a packet of seasoning, and there you are. Lunch!

I love this recipe for Oriental Chicken Salad. It's especially cheap if you use leftover chicken from another meal (I grill chicken breast in Yoshida's sauce and garlic, and these leftovers are fantastic in this salad).

Oriental Chicken Salad
adapted from "Eat Up Slim Down"

2 envelopes low-fat chicken ramen soup mix
2 c cubed cooked chicken breast
1 head cabbage, thinly sliced (6 c)--I use a bag of precut coleslaw mix
1 celery rib, thinly sliced (I use celery seed)
1 red onion, thinly sliced (I use minced onion)
3 T seasoned rice vinegar
1 T canola oil
1 t sugar (optional)
Set ramen seasoning package aside. Place noodles in a large bowl. Add water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain. Add chicken, cabbage, celery, and onion.

In a small bowl, combine ramen seasoning package, vinegar, oil, and sugar. Pour over salad, cover and chill 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.