Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Great Fallback Meal

We tried a new crock-pot dinner last weekend, which turned out pretty good. It is simple to make, and the ingredients are ones that can be easily stored and kept on hand, making this a perfect fallback meal when your other dinner plans fall through. For your consideration:

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
1 can pineapple pieces
1/2 c white vinegar
3 T soy sauce
1/2 c brown sugar
1.25 lb precooked meatballs

Place meatballs into crock pot. Mix other ingredients together and pour over meatballs. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. Serve with rice or noodles, and vegetables.

Prep Notes: I doubled the recipe, which I won't need to do next time, as it makes quite a lot. I thought it had a little too much of a vinegar-y taste, so I will cut the vinegar down to maybe 1/3 cup next time. The original recipe link did not say what size can of pineapple to use. I used a 20-oz can of pineapple chunks (with some of the juice) for my double recipe. We all agreed that was the best type of pineapple to use, as those of us (my teenage sons) who weren't wild about the pineapple could easily pick around it. We all agreed that the sauce needed to be thick, not runny, so next time I will try adding some cornstarch and water about 20 minutes before serving.

Verdict: Definitely tasty, with room for improvement. I give it extra points for being so simple to make.