Friday, March 5, 2010

SwapMamas.com

Swapmamas.com, like Kashless, is another way to get rid of things you don't want and pick up some nice freebies that you could use. What I find most useful about the site is that the items for trading are listed in different groups, or circles, as SwapMamas calls them. So, if you are only interested in baby clothes or craft supplies, you won't have to slog through a whole bunch of listings for old windows and broken computers. You can also swap items like gift cards and grocery coupons. I joined the gift card swap circle, and offered up a $15 Best Buy gift card, looking for Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, or similar cards in return. So far, no takers. But, the idea is cool.

You can work out a trade with someone who has what you want and wants what you have, or you can give your items to one swapper and get items from another. The giver pays shipping, and gets karma in return (their wording, not mine). The hope is that swappers would be both GIVERS and GETTERS.

SwapMamas goes one step further, adding a social component. To quote from their website, "It's about getting to know other parents, making connections, and doing a little old school trading with friends." I'm not wild on this aspect of the site, to be honest. If I want friends, I'll log in to Facebook. I don't have time to build a social network on a site that is solely for swapping freebies.

I'll let you know if my gift card swap ever pans out. But, in the meantime, take a look at SwapMamas.com and see what you think!