Saturday, May 1, 2010

Shopping for a Business Suit

My soon-to-be-seventeen-year-old son told me the other day that he wanted nicer dress clothes for his birthday. I think the "Mormon Prom" coming up on Saturday was part of his motivation. My hubby is not a big suit-wearer; he has a pair of slacks and a few dress shirts and ties that he rotates through for Sundays, but normally wears shorts and polos the rest of the week (even in the winter). So, I was a bit clueless as to where to start looking. I asked my Facebook friends and was amazed that the large range of suggestions I received.
  • Burlington Coat Factory.
  • Goodwill: take it to the dry cleaner or use the dry cleaner product for your dryer. Many Goodwill stores have Designer Sales where they offer their best selections of items.
    Hand-me-downs from family members or friends.
  • JC Penney: Google for coupons - they are easy to find and easy to use. Suit quality is good. A friend’s son wore JC Penney suits on his 2-year LDS Church mission, and they are still in good shape.
  • Kohl's.
  • Land’s End.
  • Macy's clearance rack. Check the weekend ads for "additional discount" on clearance items. As a law student, my cousin picked up several for $100-$150 (originally $500-950). They were nice suits and drew compliments from the judge.
  • Nordstrom Rack.
  • Ross.
  • Sears.
  • Thrift stores.
Because it was closest to home, we decided to start off at Sears. That's the only place we looked. He decided against the suit jacket, but got a pair of nice charcoal gray slacks, a beautiful blue shirt, 2 pairs of dress socks, a belt, and a pair of shoes for just over $100. I'm sure we could have done better if we had wanted to spend more time hunting, but it was sufficient and was within our budget.