Monday, June 28, 2010

Blinded by the Price

The pull cord on the honeycomb room-darkening blinds in my son's room broke--again. In the 14 years we've had these particular blinds, I've probably had to have them restrung three or four times. This was not a problem in the past; I took them down to my local 3 Day Blinds store (where we originally purchased them), and had the blinds restrung for about $15. This time, I called the showroom to be sure they were open today, and it's a good thing I called before taking the blinds down. Turns out they have changed their business model and the showrooms now no longer do repairs. I was told I could send them to Irvine, CA, or have someone come fix them in my house for $125. Well, I told the operator (who, even though I had called a local phone number, worked in the call center in Irvine) that I'd be taking my blind business elsewhere!

I called The Blind Alley, which did the blinds for our living room and dining room. They can't restring a competitor's product (no surprise). So, I decided to order a new blind. I knew it would be more expensive, but I also knew it would be a name brand product, and that The Blind Alley will be able to service this blind in the future. The Hunter-Douglas Applause blind I ordered has a 7-year warranty on all parts--including pull cords.

I expect the new blind to last longer with fewer problems. Sometimes it's not all about price.