Monday, July 12, 2010

Better Product/Better for the Environment

A few weeks ago, I read an article about disposable razors and how much waste they generate. I had been using them forever because they were cheap, and never really thought about the waste. "Hmm...isn't real-life frugality about saving the environment AND saving money?" I asked myself. Well, yes it is!! So, I switched to a system where you only toss the blade, and I feel much more environmentally-friendly. In addition to generating less waste, the blades actually last for more than just one shave.

If any of you are interested, I'm now using the Venus Divine by Gillette. The cartridges are not terribly cheap, but I do make sure to only buy them when they are on sale and/or I have a coupon. While doing some web research for this post, I came across a host of articles on the topic. Just go out and type "disposable razor landfill" into Bing! or Google and you'll see what I mean. One of the most interesting articles I found was this one, which tells you how to sharpen your razor blades on the leg of your jeans. I am so gonna try this one, but maybe I will use an old pair of jeans that I don't care much about. I'm also thinking that it would be best to do this with regular denim, not stretch denim like most women's jeans are made of.